Grab your favorite dark chocolate and repeat after me:
- NO CHOLESTEROL. Cholesterol can only be found in animal products, so as long as your chocolate bar is just cocoa butter, cocoa powder, even sugar, and some lecithin, you don’t have to worry.
- HIGH IN ANTIOXIDANTS. To contrast the action of free radicals, there is nothing better than a daily dose of antioxidants. For every food we can measure its ORAC value, which indicates how powerful an antioxidant is. And look who’s at the top of the chart?
- DROPS BLOOD PRESSURE. Decades have been spent to research the effects of regular chocolate consumption on subjects suffering from hypertension. The results? Chocolate is a great help in lowering blood pressure.
- APHRODISIAC. Nope, it is not a legend. Some of the substances contained in chocolate have been proved to trigger the release of mood enhancing chemicals in the brain resulting in feelings of giddiness, attraction, euphoria and excitement.
- NO ACNE. This is indeed a false myth that has to be stopped. Acne is caused exclusively by hormonal changes, and chocolate has nothing to do with that. Leave it alone!
- RELIEVES HEADACHES. Since a lack of magnesium plays a main role in provoking headaches, and since cocoa powder has one of the highest natural concentrations of magnesium, voilà! A nice excuse to always carry in your bag a square of chocolate.
- ALLERGY FREE. If you ever thought you had an allergic reaction because of chocolate, make sure you read the ingredients’ list more carefully next time. Milk, butter, soy lecithin, gluten and tree nuts are usually the guilty ones, while chocolate causes allergy to only a very restricted portion of the population.
- GOOD FOR THE MOOD. The substances contained in chocolate increase the production of serotonin by the brain. Serotonin is the chemical responsible for maintaining mood balance and avoid depression. So, YAY!
Moderation is always the key, but this is to show you that pure dark chocolate is way more harmless that the majority of the comfort foods out there. Mayas and Aztecs used to suggest it for whatever health issue somebody could have had. Stomach ache? Take some chocolate! Head ache? Take some chocolate! Feeling down? Take some chocolate! They treated cacao like the most valuable natural ingredient on Earth. Why wouldn’t we? Therefore, ENJOY WITHOUT GUILT!
P.S. Not every chocolate is made equal! Please always be aware of the content of your chocolate. If you don’t know where to begin, don’t miss my article on How to properly read a chocolate ingredients’ list.
Have you personally experienced some of these benefits? Tell me about it!
I did NOT get paid and did NOT receive any kind of favor for writing this article. These are my honest opinions at your service.