Tell me about the frustration of finding industrial chocolate EVERYWHERE, and having to cross the entire city just for a tiny selection of fine chocolate bars instead.
I know, the struggle!
Even in big cities like New York City or San Francisco (and let me know in the comment section below if this is the case also for other big cities in the World) there is a maximum of 3 stores specialized in the sale of fine chocolate bars, where you can obviously find a satisfying selection.
In all the other cases you need to know specialty food stores that carry a couple of shelves of fine chocolate. Or coffee shops that have a few brands in front of their cash register. Or high-end supermarkets that can meet your delicate cravings.
I rarely stumble across places that carry fine chocolate bars, and when I do it is a big celebration for the entire day! But let’s be honest: a huge effort in terms of time and transportation is usually required to put our hands on fine chocolate. So what I am about to tell you will definitely come as good news.
Long gone are the days when we had to succumb to slender selections of fine chocolate. No more running around town to satisfy our delicate palates. Several companies are now specialized in the delivery of fine chocolate bars!
Which means that you have the opportunity to find fine chocolate in your mailbox every month just by subscribing online. But how does it work?
I researched and analyzed for you the most popular companies in the US that offer this marvelous service. Here are the characteristics that they have in common, so you can have all the tools to decide if fine chocolate deliveries are your thing:
- Automatic Monthly Deliveries: once you subscribe online, you will be receiving a box containing fine chocolate bars EVERY MONTH. The first delivery will happen in the month following your subscription. Each company decides to deliver in different weeks or days of the month, but they all keep their delivery time consistent throughout the year.
- 4 Bars: this seems to be the usual amount of bars that you will receive monthly. Some companies offer 5 to 7 bars for the same price, but this is because they include chocolate in smaller bars or different shapes. Therefore the quantity always sums up to 4 bars.
- Surprise Effect: the company chooses the bars that you will receive. Some of them offer the opportunity to personalize your chocolate box based on your preferences (ex. Milk or dark/ Plain or with inclusions) and can accommodate reasonable changes. Brands and flavors are however at the company’s discretion. Opening your monthly box will always be an exciting experience!
- $33 monthly: this is the average price asked for the monthly box of 4 bars. Some charge $30, some others $35. The medium price is around $8.25 per bar, which is very convenient for fine chocolate.
- Priority Mail: to avoid the chocolate bars to melt, every company uses USPS priority mail, where the delivery is expected in 1 to 3 days. Shipping is FREE in the country where these companies are located. You will instead be charged for the shipping costs if you want a delivery outside of their country of location (ex. If the company is in the US, the deliveries in the US are free, where deliveries in Europe will be charged). I checked also companies in the UK, and this holds true for them too. So I believe this is a common rule worldwide for this kind of service.
- Finest Brands: these companies have a GREAT selection to offer. The most famous fine chocolate brands that you can think of, they have them. Bean-to-bar, small batch, limited editions, award winners, tree-to-bar, single origins from all over the World. You have the chance to discover brands that you have never heard of, or try different flavors from your favorite companies.
- Prepaid plans: the most popular are 3-month and 6-month plans. You can find also 12-month plans. These plans allow you to save a couple of dollars compared to the month-to-month payments, and you can keep receiving your box every month without even thinking about it.
- Cancel Anytime: no extra charge is to be paid to cancel the service. Just make sure to cancel before your next payment is due. Some companies also offer a money back guaranteed option.
- Gift Box: almost all of these companies give you the chance to surprise your beloved ones with a gift box. This can be personalized and accompanied by a personal message. It can be a one-time gift box or an entire subscription plan.
The terms of service are pretty much the same for every company. Therefore, each of them has found a way to differentiate itself from the competition.
Here are some examples:
- If your cravings are all for Dark Chocolate, the guys at Chocorush are specialized in Dark Bars.
- If you are not sure chocolate delivered to your doorstep is a good option for you, CocoaCouriers offers a monthly starter plan at $26.99 for 3 bars to get you warmed up.
- If you want to know more about the chocolate companies offered in the box, CocoaRunners has an entire Chocolate Library to get you familiar with many brands.
- If you want to feel part of an exclusive club, Cocolectic only delivers Small Batch, Bean-to-Bar Dark chocolate.
Nothing can compare to the experience of stepping into your favorite chocolate store and be faced with hundreds of fine chocolate bars. But just in case you want to discover new brands in the comfort of your house, fine chocolate delivered to your doorstep is definitely an option you should consider.
Are YOU interested in having fine chocolate delivered to your doorstep?
I did NOT get paid and did NOT receive any kind of favor for writing this article. These are my honest opinions at your service.